you lay sideways,
with crossbows for brows,
thin flint projectile eyes.
My heart, mosquito bitten
patch of me, rises to surface.
Rhythmic itch. Seven day swell, this week,
I think about you. Fade under skin soon.
Oh! How I love you. With your itty bittyness, and your platform shoes, and your perfectly coiffed hair, and your bare chest, and your unforgettable falsetto squeals of joy.
Everytime I play your songs it turns my room into ‘Erotic City’ and‘Under The Cherry Moon’your ‘Musicology’ showers down on me like ‘Purple Rain’.
I know only ‘The Beautiful Ones’ truly understand you.
But you should know that ‘I Would Die For You’ and your ‘Kiss’’ cause I really, really ‘Feel For You’. So on Sunday, I say ‘Let’s Go Crazy’ for your birthday and cause some ‘Controversy’ cause ‘Baby I’m a Star’ and ’U Got The Look’. Whenever we’re together on the dance floor, our little feet combined always work up such a ‘Black Sweat’.
So here is how this will all go down.
I’ll ride up in my ‘Little Red Corvette’, and don my ‘Raspberry Beret’. When it’s all done you can ‘Take Me With U’, and lace me out with‘Diamonds and Pearls’. Maybe we can reminisce over why you wrote‘When Doves Cry’…. or then again… maybe not.
Just know that I will be on some serious ‘Pussy Control’, and will keep a close eye on that…‘Darling Nikki’ of yours. Hmph.
I hope you still think I’m the ’Most Beautiful Girl in the World’, cause I still think you’re a ‘Sexy Mother Fucker’.
And after this declaration of my love… I guess i’m just wondering…
‘How Come U Don’t Call Me Anymore’???
Is it cause the other day I yelled down to you from the window of my 9th floor apartment to, ‘Do Me Baby’ and ‘Call My Name’?????
Oops. My Bad.
Lots of Love.
tossing and turning
another long sleepless night;
will they never end?
Not since Ms. Jackson’s nasty nipples touched down at Super Bowl XXXVIII has a black woman’s beautiful body been so… evening news. Of course, by now you too have been caught up in the viral swarm that is Erykah Badu’s “Window Seat” . You’ve watched it, analyzed it, discussed it, Tweeted it, saw it on CNN, read about it in the Times and every single blog you’ve visited in the past week, and watched it again and said, “Dayum!” when her sweats fall below her hips.
Of course, exposure gets maximum exposure. That’s obvious. But here are some things I haven’t seen uncovered:
* The fact that there is an actual song accompanying the visual. A pretty decent one, too. Interestingly enough though, even as a Badu fan, I wasn’t compelled to hit up iTunes off the strength of the single…until I saw the video. It gave me hope that her entire album would be as gutsy as that stroll through Dealey Plaza in broad ass daylight.
* Why are some journalists mystified by the fact that E. Badu is even remotely familiar with the historical significance of the location of the video “shoot”? Not only is she a Dallas native, but she an artist who’s proven herself rather socially if not historically conscious; which I guess I shouldn’t expect them to know. But she’s also an adult woman with children who presumably passed U.S. History and Government class and therefore has heard of President Kennedy and knows he got murked.
* Children have seen naked women before. And will again. Consider this a teaching moment.
* Isn’t dropping an album inherently a publicity stunt?
* I know Easter’s coming up, but the assassination of JFK is not a metaphor for Calvary. He is not Jesus, and there is no “sacrilege” in Badu’s symbolism. It’s art.
* Speaking of symbolism, was the video really that deep that it requires anyone other than the artist to decode the meaning? I think Badu captured it all quite succinctly in the video…and then in ALL the interviews she’s given since, AND on her Twitter page when she said: “At the point one reaches an individual idea and sheds him / herself of learned behavior, or evolves to a way of thinking that the group misunderstands, refuses to understand or is threatened by as a whole, the single minded individual is in danger. Fear arises & even if the point made by the individual is as simple as can be, even spelled out or stated intelligently 2 or 3 things can/will happen quite interesting. Let’s see what happens next.”
But what is most fascinating to me is that no one seems to be mentioning the fact that the viral aftermath is the exact manifestation of the fictional bullet lodged in her temple. That art is a subjective endeavor to be interpreted individually. That evolution and creativity are often ostracized. That tits and ass cause crowds to gather and speak in unison.
If not for going one-shot live, muff out and thick, in front of a world that assassinates free-thinking, intellectual, proud, courageous, black, nude, unpermed women for sport; respect the fact that Erykah Badu has manipulated the laws of groupthink (aka YouTube, Twitter, etc.) to get you to watch and grouplisten.
After seeing Jurassic Park when I was about 4, I realized that the T-Rex was the most bad ass creature to ever walk our earth. Who didn’t want to get paid to get play in dirt and dig up bones. That was the plan until I was like 7, until my evil step mother told me they didn’t make any money. That wasn’t going to fly.
Editor of XXL or Vibe
I spent my Jr High and High School days collecting XXL magazines during the ‘YN’ era and memorizing every line the Erik White put to press. When I figured out that I was a decent writer than I didn’t want the job anymore. Something about me wanting to keep something to myself. But yet I blog. [Kanye Shrug]
A&R for J Records
Yes, I spent a lot of time watching Brown Sugar during my adolescence. Industry party to Industry party. The chance to go to the grammys. But we ALL know that’s out the question .
“My A&R’s a computer”-Childish Gambino
If I ever got the opportunity to curate the soundtracks for films or television shows, I’m sorry, writing, but I would leave you.”-Breanne Thomas
I know you may not believe this, but you are beautiful inside and out. Never let anyone or anything make you feel differently. No one is perfect, but guess what? No one is YOU either! You can’t compare yourself to others, just be the best you that you can be. You have a lot to offer the world, but you have to believe in yourself when no one else does and stay focused. Although you know more than most of the kids your age, you still have a lot to learn as we all do.Don’t be afraid of what you are capable of. Don’t run from success. Me and you are a lot a like.You are very strong, but yet so sensitive. Be careful of who you let in to your heart. I know you love to please people, but understand that not all people have kind hearts. Continue on the path that you’re on. I think that you know what you’re doing. Continue to grow and reflect as you always have.I don’t know it all, but I do know you are special. No matter what anyone tells you or how often you find yourself being misunderstood, do not change for anyone. I know you believe you can adapt to anyone and any situation, but stay true to yourself…always.
Love, Jordan :)